Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gleneagles Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Gleneagles Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Crieff Junction Station And War Memorial Plaque

Canmore ID 81176

Site Number NN91SW 35

NGR NN 92902 10521

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/81176

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Blackford
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN91SW 35 92902 10521

Gleneagles Station [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, April 2010.

(Location cited as NN 929 105). Gleneagles Station, built 1919 by the Caledonian Rly. Constructed in association with the nearby railway-owned luxury hotel (NN91SW 33), this is a late example of Caledonian wood and iron building. The booking-office block is externally in Scottish Central style, with crow-stepped gables, but the platform buildings and covered stairs are notably light and airy, with glazed cantilevered awnings on cast-iron columns. There were three platforms, the down main having another face for Crieff branch trains.

J R Hume 1977.

This intermediate station on the Stirling-Perth line of the former Caledonian Rly was also the junction for the branch line to Crieff via Muthill. It was opened (by the Scottish Central Rly) on 14 March 1856 as Crieff Junction Station, but was renamed Gleneagles Station on 1 April 1912 and remains in regular passenger use.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 13 June 1997.

R V J Butt 1995.

Comparing the 1st edition 6-inch map (Perthshire 1866, sheet cxviii) to the present OS 1:10000 map (1991) indicates that the route of the Crieff branch line into the station was re-aligned upto 100m to the E, probably when the station was reconstructed and renamed Gleneagles in 1919.

Information from RCAHMS (AKK), 24 March 1998.

Activities

Photographic Survey (13 March 2014)

A photographic survey of this station was made before and during renovation work to demolish parts of the redundant station and upgrade the active station in advance of the 2014 Ryder Cup.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions