Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glassaugh House

Country House (19th Century)

Site Name Glassaugh House

Classification Country House (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Glassah; Glassauch; Glassaugh House; Glassaugh Policies; Glasshaughs House

Canmore ID 76620

Site Number NJ56SE 15

NGR NJ 55829 64773

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/76620

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Fordyce
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Banff And Buchan
  • Former County Banffshire

Area Listed Building Survey 2012-13 (26 June 2012)

Photographed for the Listed Buildings Area Survey.

RCAHMS (2012).

Area Listed Building Survey 2012-13 (2012)

Late 18th century classical house, altered and extended in the 1840's by Archibald Simpson, including a new entrance front on the south front rather than the west. At one stage used as a pen for livestock, including the upper floors. Now in a ruinous state.

RCAHMS (2012).

Archaeology Notes

NJ56SE 15.00 5582 6477

NJ56SE 15.01 558 647 Estate Bridge

MJ56SE 15.02 558 647 Walled Garden

NJ56SE 15.03 558 648 Dovecot

NJ56SE 15.04 557 647 Lodge

NJ56SE 15.05 5557 6466 Glassaugh House

NJ56SE 15.06 5550 6472 Mains of Glassaugh

NJ56SE 15.07 5592 6483 Windmere

Although the earliest part of this existing (but derelict) mansion appears to date from 1770, it probably lies on or near the site of the earlier 'dwellinghouse of Abercromby of Glassah' which William Ogilvie mentions in 1724. Latterly a residence of the Duffs of Glassaugh and Fetteresso, Glassaugh House was much enlarged in 1840 by Archibald Simpson, the distinguished architect. Perhaps the best-known of all the lairds of Glassaugh was General Abercromby who, in 1758, commanded the British forces at the battle of Ticonderoga. He had earlier served on the staff of the Duke of Cumberland.

[Air photographic imagery and additional bibliography listed].

NMRS, MS/712/36.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Archibald Simpson, 1840.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Scottish Record Office.

Specification, Estimates, accounts and reciepts for work in house, stables, coach house and porter's lodge.

Architect: Archibald Simpson (1790-1847).

Mason: William Leslie.

Wright: James Buyers & Co.

1835-1836. GD105/644/10-59.

Site Management (22 May 1990)

Archibald Simpson, 1840 incorporating and re-casting circa 1770 classical house which in turn had incorporated 17th century work. Mainly tooled ashlar with polished ashlar dressings, some rubble revealed in ground floor and at rear. S ELEVATION: 1840 Symmetrical 3-storey, 7-bay S front with slightly advanced outer bays; centre ground floor entrance scarred after removal of former columned portico; centre and outer 1st floor windows with moulded architraves; small 2nd floor windows; deep eaves band, cornice and blocking course. Single storey rear service range. INTERIOR: later 18th century staircase in W side of house and 1840 staircase in centre stairwell in centre of S front reached through former entrance lobby. Both in poor condition with no balustrades.

Mansion gutted and little survives except some later 18th century raised and fielded window shutters and 1840 beaded panelled window shutters. Glassaugh belonged to the Ogilvy (relatives of Seafield) family in 16th century and passed to the Gordons of Auchanassie. It was acquired by John Abercrombie, younger brother of Sir Alexander Abercrombie of Birkenbog (also Fordyce Parish) circa 1650 and remained in that family until early 20th century. The mansion in its present form was probably built by General James Abercrombie between 1759 (when he retired from the army) and his death in 1781 and extended and re-cast for Arthur Abercrombie in 1840. (Historic Scotland)

Once used to house livestock: chickens on the second floor, pigs on the first - who reached their pens via the principal staircase- and cows on the ground. (C.McKean)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions