Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 84-87 Princes Street

Club (19th Century), Club (20th Century), Shop(S) (20th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 84-87 Princes Street

Classification Club (19th Century), Club (20th Century), Shop(S) (20th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 84, 85, 86, 87; 86 Princes Street, The New Club; Dorothy Perkins; War Memorial Plaque

Canmore ID 74031

Site Number NT27SE 490

NGR NT 25284 73885

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/74031

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 490 2524 73885

Architect: William Burn 1834 and 1855 - also designed building to be erected at 1 Princes Street at the suggestion of

T Constable

David Bryce (extension, 1859-61)

Sir Robert Lorimer (Dining Room and interior alterations, 1908-13)

REFERENCE: Scottish Record Office:

Report concerning the procuring of property for the New Club (Printed).

The Committee has agreed that the only place suitable is the Property in Princes Street belonging to the Trustees or the late Mr Donaldson and the House at present occupied as the Tax-Office.

Mr [William] Burn, Architect, estimates the cost of an entire new club house at 10,000 [pounds].

1833 GD 121/3/211

NMRS REFERENCE:

70 Princes Street, New Club

Original building demolished in 1967. New building on site designed by Alan Reiach in association with Stuart Renton, 1969.

Lorimer's panelling retained in new member's dining room.

P Willis 1977

This site was recorded as part of the LBRP for 2000-01. Original drawings survive, so the survey consisted of a comprehensive external and internal photographic survey. The New Club was designed by Reiach & Hall and built 1966-9 to replace the previous building on the site designed by William Burn in 1834 and extended in 1859 by David Bryce. As built, the present New Club was designed with a first-floor walkway, a section of an intended 'second street' which was never completed. A notable design feature of the present building is the discreet, displaced ground-floor entrance to the club. The internal plan allows for interconnected reception areas to the front, with the rooms set around a central top-lit three-storeyed hall. The use of cantilevered construction allows for a balcony at 4th-floor level. The Members' Dining Room is lined with panelling taken from the former building.

Information from RCAHMS

(NMC 2003)

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions