Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Leith Central Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith Central Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Duke Street; Leith Walk; Easter Road

Canmore ID 68118

Site Number NT27NE 68

NGR NT 2705 7580

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/68118

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27NE 68 2705 7580

For predecessor South Leith station (NT 2737 7656), see NT27NE 67

This impressive (and consistently under-used) station was built by the North British Rly opening in July 1903. It suffered a major fire in October 1937 and closed to regular passenger traffic on 7 April 1952, continuing in use as a diesel maintenance depot until 1972.

G Daniels and L Dench 1980; A J Mullay 1991

Leith Central Station, Leith Walk. 1898-1903.

J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker 1984.

This station was the terminal station of the Leith branch of the North British Rly. It was opened on 1 July 1903 and closed to regular passenger traffic on 7 April 1952.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 2 February 1999.

R V J Butt 1995.

Architecture Notes

NT27NE 68 2705 7580

Opened 1.7.1903, closed to passengers 7.4.1952.

For Former Offices to Leith Central Station (7-23 Leith Walk and 2-22 Duke Street) see NT27NE 229.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions