Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 737295

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/737295

NT27NE 68 2705 7580

For predecessor South Leith station (NT 2737 7656), see NT27NE 67

This impressive (and consistently under-used) station was built by the North British Rly opening in July 1903. It suffered a major fire in October 1937 and closed to regular passenger traffic on 7 April 1952, continuing in use as a diesel maintenance depot until 1972.

G Daniels and L Dench 1980; A J Mullay 1991

Leith Central Station, Leith Walk. 1898-1903.

J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker 1984.

This station was the terminal station of the Leith branch of the North British Rly. It was opened on 1 July 1903 and closed to regular passenger traffic on 7 April 1952.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 2 February 1999.

R V J Butt 1995.

People and Organisations

References