Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Puddingburn Tower

Earthwork (Period Unassigned), Sheepfold (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Puddingburn Tower

Classification Earthwork (Period Unassigned), Sheepfold (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Stanygill Burn; Side

Canmore ID 67874

Site Number NY48NE 5

NGR NY 4548 8578

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/67874

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Castleton
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NY48NE 5 4548 8577

See also NY48SW 4.

(NY 4548 8577) Earthwork (NR)

OS 6" map (1957)

Old House, Stanygill Burn: On a narrow promontory between Black Grain and Dow Sike, at the point where they join Stanygill Burn, there is a sheepfold with two small, rectangular stone structures on its W side. The N and W walls of the more northerly of these show constructional features suggesting they once formed two sides of a small 16th century house. Jeffrey, mentioning a corner of wall "of great thickness and strength" still standing here, calls this "Puddingburn Ha'".

Close by, on the SE, the promontory is crossed by a low eastern bank, without ditch or entrance, which may be contemporary.

RCAHMS 1956, visited 1949; A Jeffrey 1864

Armstrong mentions "Puddingburn Tower" near to Side (NY48NE 6).

W A Armstrong 1960

Activities

Field Visit (17 August 1979)

The sheepfold is as described; the 1.2m wide walls contain numerous squared blocks but the supposed 16th century walling cannot be identified. Dr Robson (curator, Hawick Museum) is fairly sure that this is the site of Puddingburn Tower, however, this supposition cannot be verified from ground evidence. There is no trace of a bank on the SE side, however, there are many other sinuous field banks surrounding the sheepfold but none appear to have any special significance.

Visited by OS (MJF) 17 August 1979.

Field Visit (16 April 1996)

The remains of this rectangular tower-house, situated on a promontory at the confluence of the Dow Sike with the Stanygill Burn, have been incorporated within a more recent sheep stell. The surviving portion of the tower wall measures 6.6m from N to S by 5m transversely, is 1.3m thick and stands to a maximum height of 1.5m. What may be the S end wall is marked by a low bank, but there is no trace of the E wall. A splayed window is visible in the N wall. To the SW of the tower there is a curving section of bank, 2.5m in thickness; its function is unknown.

(LID96 319)

Visited by RCAHMS (JBS) 16 April 1996

Sbc Note

Visibility: Upstanding building, which may not be intact.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions