Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Forsinard Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Forsinard Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Canmore ID 6783

Site Number NC84SE 12

NGR NC 89072 42501

NGR Description Centred NC 8907 4250

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/6783

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Farr
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC84SE 12.00 89072 42501

NC84SE 12.01 NC 89101 42507 Railway Signal Box

NC84SE 12.02 NC 89049 42485 Level crossing

(Location cited as NC 892 425). Forsinard Station, opened 1874 by the Sutherland Caithness Rly.

J R Hume 1977.

This intermediate station on the Inverness - Georgemas Junction - Wick and Thurso ('Far North') line of the former Highland Rly. It remains in regular passenger use.

R V J Butt 1995.

A station with passing loop is situated at the S end of Forsinard village where a level crossing on the A897 road itersects with the railway.

The single storey stone built with slated roof station building is now in use as a Nature Reserve Visitor Centre. The platforms have stone base with concrete edging slabs and a gravel infill. They are lower than the standard, necessitating the use of steps for passengers to board trains.

A modern 'bus' type shelter has been added to the down platform whilst an older corrugated iron shelter survives as a waiting room on the up platform.

A boarded up signal box stands out of use at the N end of the dwon platform.

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO), 29 July 2002

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions