Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Horizontal Mill (17th Century)

Site Name Borrobol

Classification Horizontal Mill (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Ascaig; Askaig; Borrobol Burn

Canmore ID 6671

Site Number NC82NE 41

NGR NC 8665 2629

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kildonan
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes ( - 1976)

NC82NE 41 8665 2629

Borrobol Burn drove a horizontal mill which served the township of Ascaig (Askaig: NC 86 24). In 1889 the machine was enclosed in 'a hovel about the size of a pig-sty'.

(Sage 1889; J Mackay 1892)

The footings of the mill were pointed out by Mr Kennedy, keeper at NC 8665 2629 alongside Borrobol Burn. The building is used as a rubbish dump, and there is no trace of the mill working parts.

Visited by OS 2 February 1976.


Field Visit (17 April 1991)

This mill is situated on the S side of a bend in the Borrobol Burn. It comprises two subrectangular structures end-on to one another, that is from SW to NE; a water-collection pool and the mill-building, 7.5m apart, connected by a bank, which supports the mill-race. Both structures had been partially filled with rubbish. The water-collection pool, which appears to have been excavated into the side of the river-bank, measures 21m from NE to SW by 4.3m transversely within a battered wall, standing at least 0.8m in height and 3.5m in thickness towards its base. The mill-building measures 9.1m from NE to SW by 4.9m within rubble-faced, earth-cored walls, standing to 1m in height and 3m in thickness with an entrance in its SW end. There is the lintel of a sluice in its SW end, where the mill-race meets the end of the building. An overflow channel leads off from the E corner of the water-collection pool.

(KILD91 462)

There is a reference to a mill at Borrobol in a wadset of 1614 of John, Earl of Sutherland (Nat Lib Scot Sutherland MSS Dep 313/306).

Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 17 April 1991.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions