Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gallaberry

Temporary Camp (Roman)

Site Name Gallaberry

Classification Temporary Camp (Roman)

Alternative Name(s) West Gallaberry

Canmore ID 65848

Site Number NX98SE 4

NGR NX 96360 82720

NGR Description Centred NX 96360 82720

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/65848

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Kirkmahoe
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NX98SE 4 centred 96360 82720

See also NX98SE 45, NX98SE 50, NX98SE 51.

Published as Camp (R) (Site of) (1948);

Roman Camp (R) (site of), Fort (NR) (site of) (1969)

OS 1948; OS 1969.

A Roman temporary camp was visible in parchmarks in June 1939. The camp, 1 1/3 acres in extent, is situated on a gravel terrace behind the farm buildings of W Gallaberry (NX98SE 69). Excavations carried out by St Joseph in 1952 established that the camp measured 64m by 110m, with an entrance 6m wide in the S side.

O G S Crawford 1939; J K St Joseph 1952

There are no surface indications of these features and the area is under pasture at present.

Visited by OS 1964

Activities

Publication Account (17 December 2011)

Discovered in 1939 by Crawford on one of his seminal flights into Scotland (see Chapter 4), the cropmark camp at Gallaberry lies on level ground about 1km east of the River Nith and less than 3km south-east of the fort and camps at Dalswinton. The camp is a parallelogram in form, measuring 109m from south-west to north-east by 61m, enclosing 0.67ha (1.7 acres). An entrance gap is visible in the south-west side and a further break can be seen in the south-east side, but this is not clearly an entrance. Excavations in 1939 by St Joseph recorded that the ditch was V-shaped, about 3.35m wide and 1.4m deep (Taylor 1940: 162; St Joseph 1952b: 120–2). The site overlies a probable Neolithic cursus monument and is close to a small prehistoric fort.

R H Jones

Aerial Photographic Transcription (8 June 2012)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions