Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Brora Colliery

Colliery (19th Century)

Site Name Brora Colliery

Classification Colliery (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Ross Nos. 1 And 2

Canmore ID 6552

Site Number NC80SE 44

NGR NC 8980 0400

NGR Description Centred on Ross No.2 surface mine

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/6552

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Clyne
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC80SE 44 8980 0400

See also NC80SE 61 and NC80SE 62 and NC90SW 4.

(Location cited as NC 898 040). Brora Colliery. The first modern sinking was made in 1811-14, and from this date there survive the manager's house and offices. The pithead gear was demolished in 1970, but a square-section brick chimney escaped demolition.

J R Hume 1977.

(Location cited as NC 8991 0403, centred). BRORA Colliery

Owners: Marquess of Stafford/Dukes of Sutherland, later T M Hunter Limited, a miners' co-operative, and from 1973, Mr E E Pritchard

Sinking/Production Commenced: 1811, new mine (Ross No. 2) in 1969

Year Closed: 1975

Abandoned: 1975

Shaft/Mine Details: 2 shafts, No. 1 NC 899 040 and No. 2 895 040. New surface mine, Ross No. 2 (1969) at NC 8980 0400

Other Details: The only Jurassic coal mine in Scotland. Never taken into state ownership by the National Coal Board (NCB). Re-named Ross Pit, the original shafts becoming Ross No. 1, the new drift mine, Ross No. 2, being driven in 1969. Ross No. 1 was closed after a fire in 1969 forced the fire brigade to flood the mine. Ross No. 2 closed six years later. Pithead baths were built by the Miners' Welfare Fund in 1936. An associated brickworks (re-established in 1954) produced bricks and tiles using local clays and shale from the mine, and operated from c.1907 to c.1971, supplying common building brick to customers all over the Highlands (NC80SE 43).

M K Oglethorpe 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions