Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Southwick Church

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Southwick Church

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Southwick Old Church And Churchyard

Canmore ID 65400

Site Number NX95NW 3

NGR NX 90645 56945

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/65400

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Colvend And Southwick
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX95NW 3 90645 56945

(NX 9064 5694) Southwick Church (NR) (Rems. of)

OS 6" map (1946)

For (successor and present) Parish Church (NX 92734 57373), see NX95NW 23.

The original church appears to have been dedicated to 'Our Lady of Southwick' in the 13th c., but the existing fragment has been much altered, if not rebuilt, in post-Reformation times.

The remains are oblong in plan, measuring 62'6" by 26'3" over walls from 3'3" to 4' thick and about 12' in height. There are rough openings in the north wall; and the east half of the south wall has been demolished.

RCAHMS 1914, visited 1911

The fragmentary remains of this church are generally as described above. There are modern breaks at the west end of each lateral wall.

Visited by OS (JTT) 10 August 1965.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions