Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 729355

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/729355

NX95NW 3 90645 56945

(NX 9064 5694) Southwick Church (NR) (Rems. of)

OS 6" map (1946)

For (successor and present) Parish Church (NX 92734 57373), see NX95NW 23.

The original church appears to have been dedicated to 'Our Lady of Southwick' in the 13th c., but the existing fragment has been much altered, if not rebuilt, in post-Reformation times.

The remains are oblong in plan, measuring 62'6" by 26'3" over walls from 3'3" to 4' thick and about 12' in height. There are rough openings in the north wall; and the east half of the south wall has been demolished.

RCAHMS 1914, visited 1911

The fragmentary remains of this church are generally as described above. There are modern breaks at the west end of each lateral wall.

Visited by OS (JTT) 10 August 1965.

People and Organisations

References