Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fishwick

Village (Medieval)

Site Name Fishwick

Classification Village (Medieval)

Canmore ID 59995

Site Number NT94NW 19

NGR NT 92502 49897

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/59995

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Hutton (Berwickshire)
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT94NW 19 NT 92502 49897

Deserted Medieval Village, Fishwick: The 'mansio' of Fishwick is mentioned in charters of the late 11th and early 12th centuries, and the village is recorded in a survey of the lands of Coldingham Priory in about 1300.

There was a settlement in the area of the present farm of Fishwick (NT 917 510) in the middle of the 18th century, but it is likely that the medieval village stood close to the site of the medieval church (NT95SW 6, at NT 925 501). No traces now remain.

RCAHMS 1980, visited 1979; W Roy's map 1747-55; J Raine ed. 1841; A C Lawrie 1905; W S Moodie 1919; A A M Duncan 1975.

What may be the remains of the deserted medieval village of Fishwick have been recorded as cropmarks on oblique aerial photographs (RCAHMSAP 1979, 1990, 1994, 2000). Ditches, some of which may have formed rectilinear enclosures, and pits are scattered across the terrace to the S of the church (NT95SW 6) and two parallel lines of pits close to the W bank of the river may be the remains of a substantial rectangular building (NT 9255 4990).

Information from RCAHMS (KMM) 15 June 2004

Activities

Aerial Photography (3 July 2003)

Sbc Note

Visibility: This site is visible as a cropmark.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions