Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

The Hirsel

Country House (18th Century)

Site Name The Hirsel

Classification Country House (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) The Hirsel Policies

Canmore ID 59619

Site Number NT84SW 15

NGR NT 82944 40745

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/59619

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Coldstream
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT84SW 15.00 82944 40745

NT84SW 15.01 NT 82494 40689 Laundry and Offices

NT84SW 15.02 NT 82703 40811 Stables

NT84SW 15.03 NT 82787 40184 Homestead with Dovecot

NT84SW 15.04 NT 82021 41354 Obelisk to Lord Dunglass

NT84SW 15.05 NT 82880 40504 Walled Garden with Glasshouses

NT84SW 15.06 NT 82508 40276 Hirsel Lake

NT84SW 15.07 NT 82065 40616 Crooks Steading

NT84SW 15.08 NT 81650 40409 Crook's Lodge (Crooks Avenue)

NT84SW 15.09 NT 81547 40667 Cockburn Lodge

NT84SW 15.10 NT 81307 41120 Montague Lodge (Montague Avenue)

NT84SW 15.11 NT 81665 41217 Estate Footbridge (Leet Water)

NT84SW 15.12 NT 82552 41147 Dunglass Bridge (Leet Water)

NT84SW 15.13 NT 82959 40876 Estate Footbridge (Leet Water)

NT84SW 15.14 NT 83064 40659 Estate Footbridge (Leet Water)

NT84SW 15.15 NT 83102 40717 Caul (Leet Water)

NT84SW 15.16 NT 83061 40058 Estate Footbridge (Leet Water)

NT84SW 15.17 NT 83212 41491 Kincham Lodge (Kincham Avenue)

For excavated church and burial-ground at Dial Knowe or Low Field, see NT84SW 3.

For discovery of cists at The Hirsel, see NT84SW 4.

For Hirsel Law fort (NT 8250 4162), see NT84SW 7.

For possible plantation bank at NT 821 407, see NT84SW 26.

The Hirsel, the seat of the Earl of Home is a long, narrow mansion-house facing the SW, the larger (NW) part of which has been built at various times in the 19th century. The SE end dates from about the beginning of the 17th century and consists of a centre, with a wing at each end, and a square tower projecting beyond the SW wing, the whole length of this part of the house being about 110ft. It is quite probable that the SW wing, which is a square of about 25ft, with the SW tower, which is joined to it anglewise, may be older than the other part, but as the windows have been enlarged and other alterations made, this is uncertain, though the many masons' marks that are visible favour the idea of an earlier date for this portion. The original entrance, which appears to have been in the S side of the NW wing, is now built up and partly occupied by one of the enlarged windows. The house is three storeys high.

RCAHMS 1915, visited 1909.

Photographed by the RCAHM in 1980 and 1999.

RCAHMS 1980 AP catalogue 1980.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Owner: Sir Alex Douglas Home. (deceased)

Achitects: William Adam 1739-41 Stables (demolished)

William Burn 1851

David Bryce 1858

James Campbell Walker - additions and chapel 1898-1905

George Henderson - additions.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

S.N.P.G. - S.M.T Magazine, January, 1951

Activities

Photographic Survey (1955)

Photographic survey of the exterior of the Hirsel, Berwickshire, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1955.

Photographic Survey (1956)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1956.

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions