Crosshall, Eccles Cross
- Council Scottish Borders, The
- Parish Eccles
- Former Region Borders
- Former District Berwickshire
- Former County Berwickshire
Crosshall cross is situated by the side of the road approximately 300m south-west of Crosshall farmhouse. It probably dates from the twelfth century, and is thought to be a memorial stone erected to mark the grave of an important person.
The cross is just under 3m high, and is inserted into a large block of stone that is itself over 1m in height. The shaft tapers towards the top, terminating in a disc on which a cross is carved on either side. Each side of the shaft bears carved decoration; a naked man and greyhound on the east side, and a coat of arms on the west, south and possibly the north side. On the west and north sides, there are also depictions of a carved cross. A sword is depicted on the south side.
The symbols carved on this cross suggest that the person whom it commemorates may have been to the Crusades and the coat of arms may represent the Soulis family. In the nineteenth century, local tradition recorded that it commemorated a governor of the nearby Hume Castle who had been killed in a skirmish.
Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project at http://www.accessingscotlandspast.org.uk
NT74SE 5 7606 4223.
(NT 7606 4223) Cross (NR)
OS 6" map, Berwickshire, 2nd ed., (1909).
A tall, wheel-headed cross, 14ft 10ins high. The shaft, oblong in section, has a slight taper upwards to the head, which is 1ft 10ins in diameter. It stands on a built stone base with a central socket stone. A plain cross is cut in relief on both sides of the head; on the E face of the shaft is carved the figure of a man and a dog, on the W face, a latin cross beneath a shield, on the S, a similar shield above a sword, and on the N, a latin cross placed on a calvary (RCAHMS 1915). It was possibly erected after the second crusade (1114); local tradition says that a governor of Hume Castle was killed here in a skirmish (New Statistical Account (NSA, R D Thomson) 1845).
The repetition of many crosses, with shields bearing arms, shows that the monument relates to one who had been at the holy war. The first time any number of Scots went to these was to the second crusade (J Hardy 1885).
R Robertson 1792.
This cross, as described by the previous authorities, is in good condition (see RCAHMS 1915, fig.77).
Visited by OS(JD) 28 January 1955.
No change to the previous field report.
Visited by OS(RD) 20 July 1966.
A medieval, disc-headed cross, standing by the roadside about 300m SW of Crosshall farm.
RCAHMS 1980, visited 1979.