Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Spott Parish Church, Session House And Graveyard

Burial Aisle (17th Century), Burial Ground (17th Century), Church (18th Century), Pillory (Post Medieval), Session House (Period Unassigned), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Spott Parish Church, Session House And Graveyard

Classification Burial Aisle (17th Century), Burial Ground (17th Century), Church (18th Century), Pillory (Post Medieval), Session House (Period Unassigned), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Spott Roll Of Honour, War Memorial Table

Canmore ID 57610

Site Number NT67NE 138

NGR NT 67370 75586

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/57610

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Spott (East Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT67NE 138 67370 75586.

A small T-plan church which may have taken its present form in 1790 or (more likely) in 1809 when John Mason was in charge of repairs. Bellcote at the SW end; 17th-century burial aisle left over from an earlier church. The porch was added in 1848, and the old jougs hung up outside the door.

G Hay 1957; C McWilliam 1978; Trans E Lothian Antiq Fld Natur Soc 1929

Architecture Notes

NT67NE 138:

This site has tentatively been identified as the location for Spott War Memorial (LOR S/22/1).

Activities

Field Visit (29 August 1913)

Within the modem parish church is a good pulpit of apparently early 18th century workmanship. It is hexagonal on plan and measures internally 3 feet 10 inches by 3 feet by 3 feet high. On each side is a panel, stuck moulded and fielded; the back board, 3feet 4 ½ inches high, has a panel with an ogival head and is flanked by Corinthian pillars with fluted shafts, that support the sounding board, which is very daintily moulded and gracefully enriched in accord with the pillars.

RCAHMS 1924, visited 29 August 1913.

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions