Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dirrington Great Law

Cairn(S) (Period Unassigned), Quarry (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dirrington Great Law

Classification Cairn(S) (Period Unassigned), Quarry (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 57424

Site Number NT65SE 1

NGR NT 698 549

NGR Description NT 6980 5492 and NT 6985 5492

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/57424

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Longformacus
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT65SE 1 698 549.

(A: NT 6980 5492, B: NT 6985 5492) Cairns (NR)

OS 6"map, (1957).

There are two large cairns, with a smaller cairn about midway between them, on the summit of Dirrington Great Law (398m OD).

J H Craw 1923.

Cairn 'A' is circular, 21.0m in diameter and 2.5m in height. An irregular ditch up to 2.0m broad and now from 0.2m to 0.5m deep, appears to have surrounded the cairn. A slight causeway across the ditch in its NW arc has apparently been caused by silting.

'B' is a large, circular cairn. slightly hollowed on top.

It measures 23.5m in diameter and up to 2.4m in height.

There is a large quarry pit on the SW side.

'C', at NT 6982 5491, is a low, circular cairn, 8.5m in diameter and 0.8m in height, adjacent to an OS triangulation pillar.

Visited by OS (JFC) 13 January 1954.

No change to the previous information; the three cairns are apparently undisturbed.

Surveyed at 1/10,000

Visited by OS (MJF) 11 May 1979.

Three cairns, as described (slight variation in dimensions quoted).

RCAHMS 1980, visited October 1979.

Activities

Field Visit (30 August 1950)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Marginal Land Survey (1950-1962), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, are available to view online - see the searchable PDF in 'Digital Items'. These vary from short notes, to lengthy and full descriptions. Contemporary plane-table surveys and inked drawings, where available, can be viewed online in most cases - see 'Digital Images'. The original typecripts, notebooks and drawings can also be viewed in the RCAHMS search room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 19 July 2013.

Reference (1957)

This site is noted in the ‘List of monuments discovered during the survey of marginal land (1951-5)’ (RCAHMS 1957, xiv-xviii). The 286 monuments were listed by county, parish, classification and name, and the list included an indication of whether they had been planned (P), whether they were visible only as a cropmark (C), and whether they were worthy of preservation (*).

Drawings are catalogued to individual site records. Investigator's notebooks are availiable in the MS collection. Site descriptions are availiable in contemporary RCAHMS inventories, or in three typescript volumes availiable in the library.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 24 October 2012

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding earthwork or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions