Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Canongate, 12 White Horse Close

Flat(S) (17th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Canongate, 12 White Horse Close

Classification Flat(S) (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Davidson's Close; Whitehorse Close; White Horse Inn; 31 Canongate; Ord's Close

Canmore ID 52350

Site Number NT27SE 322

NGR NT 26703 73918

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52350

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2016.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 322 26697 73936

Originally 17th century. Restored and renovated by J Jerdan in 1889 and again in 1961-4 by Sir Frank Mears and Partners. Now in great part brick and harl replicas incorporating sections of the original. Long irregular quadrangle, mainly 2-storey partly with garret in court, stone stair and twin wood and plaster gables at N end. Front block to Canongate 3-storey and attic, 2-storey attic and garret E section set back.

RCAHMS 1951.

Architecture Notes

Depicted on the coloured 1st edition of the O.S. 1:1056 scale map (Edinburgh and its Environs, 1854, sheet 30).

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

National Library:

Water Colour Sketches of T Brown, Advocate Ref Adv MSS 34.8.1-3

Plans, sections and elevations in possession of F C Mears

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions