Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 137 Cowgate, Tailor's Hall

Brewery (19th Century), Hall (17th Century), Hotel (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 137 Cowgate, Tailor's Hall

Classification Brewery (19th Century), Hall (17th Century), Hotel (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Argyle Brewery; Hotel; Scott's Close

Canmore ID 52268

Site Number NT27SE 25

NGR NT 25784 73428

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52268

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 25.00 25784 73428

NT27SE 25.01 NT 2578 7342 Trial Excavation

NT27SE 25.02 NT 2576 7344 Watching Brief; Well

(NT 2578 7343) Tailors Hall (NR)

OS 1:500 plan, (1895)

In 1620 the Incorporation of Tailors acquired an area of land on the S of the Cowgate on which stood "several buildings, some of them apparently ruinous, with two courts or yards." They immediately built a hall, which was finished in 1621, on the S side of a courtyard and, twenty years later, a range of buildings on the N side of the courtyard, fronting on to the Cowgate; this was pulled down in 1940. There was a garden behind the Hall. In 1801, the Argyle Brewery acquired the whole of the Tailors' property in the Cowgate with the exception of one building, alongside the Hall, which the Incorporation reserved to itself. The draft of the National Covenant was approved in the Hall on 27th February 1638.

T Ross, G B Brown and W F Gray 1922; RCAHMS 1951.

The building is in good condition and is used by the Argyle Brewery as a store and canteen.

Visited by OS (D T) 31 January 1962.

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (S F S) 26 November 1975.

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 25.00 25784 73428

REFERENCE: Notes from Architecture Catalogue Slip.

In 1925 was a brewery. The front more interesting block was demolished in 1939.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions