Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Caiy Stane

Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Caiy Stane

Classification Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Caiystane; Cetstane; Kel Stane; Camus Stone;

Canmore ID 51756

Site Number NT26NW 14

NGR NT 24243 68357

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51756

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT26NW 14 2424 6835

See also NT26NW 13.

The Caiy Stane, also called the Kel Stane or Camus Stone (OSA 1797) (but cf. NT26NW 26), is situated in a recess in the wall on the E side of Caiystane View, near the junction with Oxgangs Road. It is a fine monolith of red sandstone, roughly rectangular in section, facing E-W. It measures 9ft 3ins (2.75m) in height, from 4ft 2ins (1.23m) to 5ft 9ins (1.55m) in breadth and from 10ins (0.25m) to 1ft 7ins (0.48m) in thickness. A row of six much-weathered cup-marks may be seen low down on its E face.

T Whyte 1792; J Y Simpson 1866; F R Coles 1903; RCAHMS 1929; R W Feachem 1977.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (26 February 2000)

Standing stone with cup-marks 50cm from the ground on the east face, standing in a semi-circular cobbled area with a wall behind.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0340)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions