Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inverkeithing, Bank Street

Market Cross (Period Unassigned), Sundial (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Inverkeithing, Bank Street

Classification Market Cross (Period Unassigned), Sundial (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) High Street; Townhall Street

Canmore ID 50971

Site Number NT18SW 5

NGR NT 13010 82872

NGR Description Moved from NT 13035 82906

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50971

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Inverkeithing
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT18SW 5 13010 82872 (moved from NT 13035 82906)

(NT 1303 8290) Cross (NR)

OS 25" map (1927)

The Market Cross, Inverkeithing, was re-erected in its present position in Townhall Street in 1799. Prior to then, it was situated at the N end of High Street just S of the Townhall Street opening.

The octagonal shaft rises from a base which rests on two circular steps, evidently the work of 1799. Affixed to an iron band round the shaft is the staple for the jougs or the branks. The shaft terminates in a capital of the same form, bearing four shields of arms. Above the capital is a series of four sundials and on the summit stands a unicorn carrying a shield with the Cross of St Andrew.

The sundials appear to be later than the shaft and capital. The unicorn dates from 1688.

W Stephen 1921; Burgh Records 8 July 1796

This market cross is adequately described by the preceding authorities; it is in good condition. The heraldic work has been painted.

Visited by OS (AC) 12 March 1959

Cross has been moved to NT 1301 8287.

Visited by OS Reviser May 1978.

Mercat Cross. Octagonal shaft on which have been set iron rings (? for jougs). The moulded capital bears four shields, their heraldry including the arms of Douglas and of Robert III and his queen, suggesting a date of 1398, the year in which Robert's heir, David, Duke of Rothesay, married Mary Douglas. Sundial and unicorn finial added 1688.

J Gifford 1988.

Architecture Notes

NT18SW 5 13010 82872 (moved from NT 13035 82906)

Architect: James Gillespie Graham, 1826 (rebuilding).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions