Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Donibristle House, Chapel And Family Vaults

Burial Vault (18th Century), Chapel (18th Century)

Site Name Donibristle House, Chapel And Family Vaults

Classification Burial Vault (18th Century), Chapel (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Mortuary Chapel Of The Earls Of Moray; Dalgety Bay; Donibristle House Estate; Donibristle House Policies

Canmore ID 50877

Site Number NT18SE 5.04

NGR NT 15825 82784

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50877

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dalgety
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT18SE 5.04 15825 82784

Date 1731. Mortuary chapel of the Earls of Moray. Oblong. Ashlar. Rusticated margins. Roofless. Pedimented ends. Entrance at W with panel (inscription and date) over. Newel of wheel-stair inside is inscribed 'Founded and finished by Mr Alexander McGill, architect'.

HBD 1969.

Architecture Notes

NT18SE 5.04 15825 82784

Architect: Alexander McGill 1729

Thomas Morrison - plasterer two clan shields in coves 1735

Inscription on plaque on east elevation of chapel;

AEDEM HANC

......

TEMPORIS ET AETERNITATIS CONDITORI SACRAM,

SANCTISSIMAE RELIGIONIS CULTUI DICATAM,

HEREBIDUS AD VERAM NOBILITATEM, QUAE IN VIRTUTE

POSITA EST, IINCITAMENTUM,

SIBI ET POSTERIS QUO COMPLICATIS VELIS IN OPTATAS

SEDES CONQUIESCANT PORTUM,

EXTRUI ET EXORNARA CURARUNT

CAROLUS ET ANNA, MORAVAE COMES ET COMITISSA,

ANNO AERAE CHRISTIANAE MDCCXXXI ANNO G II R QUINTO

This temple ... consecrated to the Founder of Time and Eternity, dedicated to the practice of the most holy religion, for their heirs a spur to that true nobility which is grounded in virtue, for themselves and their descendants a haven where with furled sails they may find rest in the place where they would be, Charles and Anne, Earl and Countess of Moray, caused to be built and decorated in the 1731st year of the Christian era and the 5th year of the reign of George 2nd.

Activities

Photographic Survey (July 1964)

Photographs of Donibristle House, gates, stables and chapel.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions