Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Architecture Notes

Event ID 711709

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Architecture Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/711709

NT18SE 5.04 15825 82784

Architect: Alexander McGill 1729

Thomas Morrison - plasterer two clan shields in coves 1735

Inscription on plaque on east elevation of chapel;

AEDEM HANC

......

TEMPORIS ET AETERNITATIS CONDITORI SACRAM,

SANCTISSIMAE RELIGIONIS CULTUI DICATAM,

HEREBIDUS AD VERAM NOBILITATEM, QUAE IN VIRTUTE

POSITA EST, IINCITAMENTUM,

SIBI ET POSTERIS QUO COMPLICATIS VELIS IN OPTATAS

SEDES CONQUIESCANT PORTUM,

EXTRUI ET EXORNARA CURARUNT

CAROLUS ET ANNA, MORAVAE COMES ET COMITISSA,

ANNO AERAE CHRISTIANAE MDCCXXXI ANNO G II R QUINTO

This temple ... consecrated to the Founder of Time and Eternity, dedicated to the practice of the most holy religion, for their heirs a spur to that true nobility which is grounded in virtue, for themselves and their descendants a haven where with furled sails they may find rest in the place where they would be, Charles and Anne, Earl and Countess of Moray, caused to be built and decorated in the 1731st year of the Christian era and the 5th year of the reign of George 2nd.

People and Organisations

References