Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Currie Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Currie Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 50273

Site Number NT16NE 17

NGR NT 1828 6773

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50273

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Currie
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT16NE 17 1828 6773.

(NT 1828 6773) Currie Bridge (NR)

OS 6" map (1957)

Currie Bridge is a very old bridge of single span, narrow on the top. It is said to have stood upwards of 500 years.

Name Book 1852; NSA 1845 (T Barclay)

Only the post-1896 bridge remains, but the site is known to be pre-1666.

Information from J Howdle, Curriehill Rd, Currie, 1969.

Architecture Notes

REFERENCE:

SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE:

'Buildings of Currie District'. Collection of notes made by Robert Balfour Graham Langwill (died 1932). He refers to: Bavelaw, Currie Bridge, Currie Kirk, Hermiston, Malleny and Riccarton.

No date. GD 1/509/10

Collection of notes made by Robert Balfour Graham Langwill (d.1932). He comments upon: Crucifix or Altar Candlestick found in Currie churchyard:Heraldic slabs at Malleny House and those taken from Corstorphine Church in 1828 and built into the extension to Hermiston House, home of John Burn, architect.

No date. GD 1/509/11

Comments are made upon the nuns:

Curriehill Castle,

Lennox Castle,

Mansion of the Skenes of Curriehill.

Also not on secret passsages.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions