Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Crombie Old Parish Church

Architectural Fragment(S) (Post Medieval), Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Grave Slab (Medieval)

Site Name Crombie Old Parish Church

Classification Architectural Fragment(S) (Post Medieval), Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Grave Slab (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Craigflower Estate; Torryburn

Canmore ID 49467

Site Number NT08NW 5

NGR NT 02826 85538

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49467

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Torryburn
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Activities

Field Visit (1 July 1953)

A plain, rectangular building, with much of its north, south and west walls having been rebuilt. Two of the lancet windows in the east gable have been obscured on the outside by a large memorial stone. The interior of the Church has been used as a burial vault.

Visited by OS (J L D) 1 July 1953.

Desk Based Assessment (1953)

NT08NW 5 02826 85538

(NT 0282 8554) Church (NR) (In Ruins)

OS 6" map, (1946)

Church, Craigflower Estate, Torryburn. This ruin was the parish church of Crombie before the parishes of Crombie and Torry were united in the parish of Torryburn at some date prior to 1623. It is now the burial place of the family of Colville of Ochiltree. Oblong on plan, it measure 46 feet in length and 14 1/2 feet in breadth internally. The east gable, 9 feet high, contains the remains of triple lancet-windows which suggest a 13th century date. The north wall, containing the present entrance has been rebuilt as a dyke on the old foundations. The south wall has been partially rebuilt.

Information from OS c1953.

Sources: RCAHMS 1933, visited 1928; H Scott (Fasti Eccles Scot) 1915-61.

Photographic Survey (1986)

Recording of gravestones in the churchyard of Crombie Old Parish Church by Mrs Betty Willsher in 1986.

Photographic Record (May 1998)

Photographs taken by S Farrell in May 1998 show that the remains of the lancet windows have collapsed.

NMRS Photograph D 56022.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions