Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Desk Based Assessment

Date 1953

Event ID 709768

Category Recording

Type Desk Based Assessment

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/709768

NT08NW 5 02826 85538

(NT 0282 8554) Church (NR) (In Ruins)

OS 6" map, (1946)

Church, Craigflower Estate, Torryburn. This ruin was the parish church of Crombie before the parishes of Crombie and Torry were united in the parish of Torryburn at some date prior to 1623. It is now the burial place of the family of Colville of Ochiltree. Oblong on plan, it measure 46 feet in length and 14 1/2 feet in breadth internally. The east gable, 9 feet high, contains the remains of triple lancet-windows which suggest a 13th century date. The north wall, containing the present entrance has been rebuilt as a dyke on the old foundations. The south wall has been partially rebuilt.

Information from OS c1953.

Sources: RCAHMS 1933, visited 1928; H Scott (Fasti Eccles Scot) 1915-61.

People and Organisations

References