Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Woodcockdale, Union Canal, Cottages And Stables

Cottage (Period Unassigned), Stable (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Woodcockdale, Union Canal, Cottages And Stables

Classification Cottage (Period Unassigned), Stable (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Edinburgh And Glasgow Union Canal

Canmore ID 47850

Site Number NS97NE 69

NGR NS 97587 75895

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47850

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Linlithgow
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Recording Your Heritage Online

BATHGATE HILLS

Woodcockdale Stables, c.1820, Hugh Baird

Canal-facing rubble cottages and stables, forestairs to both gables, in a tranquil setting. Human accommodation evident; equine accommodation less so. Men above horses.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NS97NE 69 97587 75895

This building is visible on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Linlithgowshire 1856, sheet 5), on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Linlithgowshire 1899, sheet 5NW), on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1989) and on the OS Basic Scale digital map (2000).

Information from RCAHMS (MD) 5 April 2001.

Architecture Notes

Notes:

In the 1830s horses pulling the fast passenger boats on the canal used this old, original stables building which is situated at Woodcockdale, to the W of Linlithgow. The section in the centre was used for stabling and at each end there was a dwelling house. In 1942 the house at the E end fell vacant and was taken over by a new Sea Scout Troop, the 1st West Lothian, formed specifically to occupy the site. As British Waterays and other tenants vacated the building the Troop took over the extra premises. They have used the location for learning about canoeing and developing other boat handling skills and, as the longest continual users of any building on the canal throughout its history, have ensured its preservation.

G Hutton 1993.

This building was originally a change house, where there would have been a change over of the relays of towing horses. There are currently plans to turn this well preserved building into a riverside pub or something of that nature. The name Woodcockdale has an English ring to it, but was first recorded in 1491.

H Brown 1997.

Formerly scheduled as Union Canal, Woodcockdale, cottages. De-scheduled.

Information from Historic Scotland, Certificate of Exclusion from Schedule dated 24 January 2000.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions