Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Fannyside Mill

Grain Mill (18th Century), Lade (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Fannyside Mill

Classification Grain Mill (18th Century), Lade (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Fannyside Lochs, Watermill And Lade

Canmore ID 46815

Site Number NS87SW 1

NGR NS 80991 73351

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Lanarkshire
  • Parish Cumbernauld
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cumbernauld And Kilsyth
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS87SW 1 80991 73351

The mill buildings are shown as roofed on the 1st and 2nd editions of the OS 6-inch map (Stirlingshire 1858 and 1899, sheet xxxiv) and the revised edition of the same map (Stirlingshire 1922, sheet xxxiv). The building are still roofed and and locked-up; no access was gained to the interior on the date of visit.

The lade runs in from the W, behind the farm building to the NW of the mill (where there is a sluice), from the easternmost of the Fannyside Lochs.

(CSW 4637)

Visited by RCAHMS (DCC), 14 August 1992.

Site Management (17 June 1993)

Plain 2 storey cornmill of rubble and slate, with a retained internal wheel and a dated inset lintel. The lade runs in from the west, behind the farm building with sluice to the north west of the mill, from the easternmost of the Fannyside Lochs. The mills was altered and extended in the early 19th century.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions