Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Forth And Clyde Canal, Underwood Stables

Lock Keepers Cottage(S) (19th Century), Public House (20th Century), Stable (19th Century)

Site Name Forth And Clyde Canal, Underwood Stables

Classification Lock Keepers Cottage(S) (19th Century), Public House (20th Century), Stable (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Lockeeper's House And Stables

Canmore ID 46797

Site Number NS87NW 19.01

NGR NS 8052 7899

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46797

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Falkirk
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Architecture Notes

NS87NW 19.01 NS 8052 7899.

The original lock house and stables, built to a non-standard design, have now been converted into a pub and restaurant. Between this building and the lock (NS878NW 19.00) is a cobbled forecourt.

The Forth and Clyde Canal Guidebook 1991.

This is Underwood Lockhouse, which is a pub and also serves Indian food.

H Brown 1997.

This former stables is shown as an inn on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Stirlingshire 1865, sheet xxix). It is now a pub known as Underwood Lockhouse.

Information from RCAHMS (MD) 18 October 2000.

Site Management (18 May 2015)

2 storey stone built lock keepers cottages with adjoining stables. Pitched slated roof over with forestair to East gable. Converted to a public house/ restaurant in the later 20th century.

Activities

Note (July 2013)

Building seriously damaged by fire.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions