Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from S showing SSE front

SC 733395

Description View from S showing SSE front

Date 6/7/1970

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 733395

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Underwood Stables, Forth & Clyde Canal, Falkirk The Forth and Clyde Canal was authorised in 1768, and construction started at the east end, at Grangemouth. The canal reached Maryhill in 1775, but the main line to Bowling was not completed until 1790. This lock is on the first section to be completed, and was probably finished in about 1770. This shows the lock-keeper's house and stables from the south. The stables, presumably one of the original staging posts on the canal, is the section on the right, with stalls on the ground floor and hay and grain store above. The building on the left presumably housed the stable-keeper and the lock-keeper. The building on the left may also have been an inn. These buildings were rebuilt into a restaurant in the early 1990s, before the restoration of the Forth and Clyde Canal, which was completed in 2001 as part of the Millennium Link project. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/70/26/11

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/733395

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 733395) View from S showing SSE front

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions