Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Castlecary, Forth and Clyde Canal Stables View from S showing SSE front

SC 452095

Description Castlecary, Forth and Clyde Canal Stables View from S showing SSE front

Date 1975

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 452095

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Stable and lock-keeper's house, Underwood Lock, Forth and Clyde Canal, Stirlingshire The Forth and Clyde Canal was built from the Grangemouth end, from 1768. It had reached Underwood by 1773, and the lock-keeper's house was probably built at about that time. It may also have served as an inn. The stables may be later. This view shows the building from the south, looking across the lock chamber. The windows of the house have been widened, but it is otherwise unaltered. The stable externally unaltered. Underwood Lock was close to the main Glasgow-Stirling road, and the lock may well have been for a time an interchange point between road and canal. Certainly the house is much larger and finer than the usual lock-keepers' cottages. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H75/25/6

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/452095

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 452095) Castlecary, Forth and Clyde Canal Stables View from S showing SSE front

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions