Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lanark, Hyndford Road, St Kentigern's Church

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Medieval)

Site Name Lanark, Hyndford Road, St Kentigern's Church

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Old Parish Church; Churchyard

Canmore ID 46576

Site Number NS84SE 15

NGR NS 88787 43246

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46576

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Lanark
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS84SE 15 88787 43246

(NS 8878 4325) St Kentigern's Church (NR) (Ruin)

OS 6" map (1941)

The ancient Parish Church of Lanark was dedicated to St Kentigern and was granted in 1150 by David I to the monastery at Dryburgh, with whom it remained until the Reformation. The architecture of the present church is 13th century and the site is known to have been occupied by a previous church.

The building was in ruins by the middle of the 18th century, and in 1834 consisted of six fine Gothic arches supporting a wall which seems to have separated the body of the church from a side aisle, along its whole length.

NSA 1845 (W Menzies); G V Irving and A Murray 1864; G Chalmers 1890.

The remains of the church consist of the six arches and east, west and south walls, the latter containing lancet windows. The six arches fell in 1954, and were rebuilt that year.

Visited by OS (JFC) 25 March 1955

Activities

Publication Account (1981)

Lanark's earliest parish church was located about a quarter of a mile (0•4km) south-east of the town on the Stirling to Carlisle road. Shortly after the Reformation the Kirk session tried to have the location of the parish church changed to a more convenient place, although this was not accomplished until towards the beginning of the eighteenth century. The parish church of St. Kentigern fell into ruin in 1688 and in 1709 a proposal to rebuild it was stopped by the town council and the chapel of St. Nicholas was taken over for use as a parish church. The remains of St. Kentigern's consists of a north arcade, six arches, and west, east and south walls, the latter consisting of six lancet windows and a first period lancet doorway. The six arches fell in 1954, but were rebuilt that year (Ordnance Survey Record Cards, Reference NS 84 SE 15).

Information from ‘Historic Lanark: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1981).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions