Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gargunnock House

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Gargunnock House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Gargunnock Estate

Canmore ID 46292

Site Number NS79SW 2

NGR NS 71555 94503

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46292

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Gargunnock
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS79SW 2.00 71555 94503 Gargunnock House

(NS 7155 9450) Gargunnock House (NAT)

OS 6" map (1958)

Gargunnock House is now a composite structure incorporating the work of many periods. The earliest building of which any part still remains was as approximately L-shaped tower-house; this was probably erected by a Seton of Gargunnock at about the end of the 16th century, and comprises a main block which runs approximately N-S, with an E wing at its N end. During the 17th century, a W wing was added to the S gable end of the main block, making the house roughly Z-shaped on plan. Sir James Campbell, 3rd of Glentirran, was responsible for many alterations and improvements to the property, among them the addition of a W wing to the N gable-end of the main block and the removal of an old barmkin wall and gateway (OSA 1796). The 17th century wing is three storeys and an attic in height. A turnpike stair rose in the re-entrant angle, but the present stair, in the same position, is an 18th century renewal. The mid-18th century wing is a plain rectangular block three storeys in height. The S facade of 1794, in Classical style, incorporates the S front of the 17th century wing. The building rises to a height of three storeys and an attic.

A stone sundial, dated 1731, stands about 50 yds W of the house.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1956

Gargunnock House, inhabited, is as described; it has a comparatively modern appearance.

Visited by OS (RD) 20 September 1968

Architecture Notes

NS79SW 2.00 71555 94503 Gargunnock House

NS79SW 2.01 71491 94524 Stables

NS79SW 2.02 71453 94508 Dovecot

NS79SW 2.03 71525 94489 Sundial

NS79SW 2.04 71479 94492 Walled Garden

NS79SW 2.05 71868 94303 East Lodge and Gates

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions