Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stirling Station

Railway Station (19th Century), Semaphore Station (19th Century)

Site Name Stirling Station

Classification Railway Station (19th Century), Semaphore Station (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Station Road

Canmore ID 46183

Site Number NS79SE 162

NGR NS 79758 93580

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46183

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Stirling
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS79SE 162.00 79758 93580

NS79SE 162.01 7981 9350 Railway Goods Shed

NS79SE 162.02 7990 9350 Railway Signal Box

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: John M Barr 1900

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh n/s n/d

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NS 798 936). Rebuilt 1912 by the Caledonian Rly, architect James Miller. A 9-platform through and terminal station with 2-island platforms, one of them with two bays at each end. The main offices are on the principal down platform, in a single-storey ashlar building with three crow-stepped gables. Inside this is a circular booking office with radial steel roof trusses, forming a roughly circular circulating area. Access to the main island platform is by a covered footbridge, and to the subsidiary island by an open footbridge. The main island building is a substantial stone structure with extensive awnings, and the smaller island has wooden shelters.

J R Hume 1976.

One of the loveliest of surviving Scottish railway stations, the platforms retaining an Edwardian charm that is all but lost elsewhere.

C McKean 1985

Stirling Station is an intermediate station the present station was formed by the amalgamation of the Caledonian Rly and North British Rly stations at Stirling; the former was opened on 1 March 1848 (by the Scottish Central Rly) and the latter on 1 July 1852 (by the Stirling and Dunfermline Rly). The station remains in regular use by passenger traffic on the main line.

R V J Butt 1995.

NS 7975 9358 A Level 1 standing building survey (photographic survey) was carried out to record the block track layout consoles within Stirling Middle and North signal boxes. Two track-side semaphore railway signals were also photographed. The work was carried out prior to signal improvement works that will require the removal of these features.

Sponsor: IKM Consulting Ltd on behalf of Stirlingshire Council.

Dr M Cressey, 2006.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: John M Barr 1900

NMRS REFERENCE:

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh n/s n/d

Activities

Standing Building Recording (August 2006)

NS 7975 9358 A Level 1 standing building survey (photographic survey) was carried out to record the block track layout consoles within Stirling Middle and North signal boxes (NS79SE 162.02). Two track-side semaphore railway signals were also photographed. The work was carried out in August 2006 prior to signal improvement works that will require the removal of these features.

Archive to be deposited in NMRS; report lodged with Stirling SMR and NMRS.

Sponsor: IKM Consulting Ltd on behalf of Stirlingshire Council.

M Cressey 2006

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions