Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.


Cambusnethan House

Country House (19th Century), Hotel (20th Century)

Site Name Cambusnethan House

Classification Country House (19th Century), Hotel (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Cambusnethan Priory; Castlehill Road

Canmore ID 45716

Site Number NS75SE 28

NGR NS 78064 53052

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Lanarkshire
  • Parish Cambusnethan
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Motherwell
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS75SE 28.00 78064 53052

NS75SE 28.01 NS 77900 53198 Farmsteading

NS75SE 28.02 NS 7792 5298 Walled Garden

The house, farmsteading and walled garden are all visible on vertical air photograph (OS 65/129/123, flown 1965).

Information from RCAHMS (DE) August 1996

Architecture Notes


Owner:- Sold Nov. 1964.

Architect:- James Gillespie Graham 1819


Scottish National Portrait Gallery "Glasgow & Lanarkshire Illustrated" 1910 p.113 - Article and photograph

Site Management (25 July 1990)

2-storey with sunk basement, 9-bay, symmetrical, rectangular-plan, Tudor revival priory-style mansion house. Buttressed crocketed pinnacles and gabled central block with porte cochere, flanking wings with octagonal corner towers. Yellow ashlar sandstone. Base course, cill band to upper storey, corbelled cornice; stugged hoodmoulds to openings, pointed arch windows to ground floor, rectangular windows to upper floor.

Built on the site of the 17th century Cambusnethan House as a mock Priory for the Lockhart of Castlehill family it was set in large and beautiful grounds of which there is no remains today. The gardens are also noted in the New Statistical Account for their beauty. The house was used for mock medieval banquets in the 1970s but was more recently burnt out and is now used as an illegal rubbish dump. It is on the Buildings at Risk Register. Gillespie Graham was prolific in the production of Tudor/Gothic mansions in this area in the first part of the nineteenth century also remodelling nearby Wishaw, Coltness House and Allanton House, all now ruinous. He was also responsible for Inchyre and Crawford Priory in Fife, in similar vein. Up-graded 30 August 1991. (Historic Scotland)


Photographic Record (1865 - 1867)

Photograph album with photos compiled and photographed by J McGhie, Hamilton.

Photographic Survey (June 1964)

Photographic survey of Cambusnethan Priory, Lanarkshire, by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Works in June 1964.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions