Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Auchinlea Road, Provan Hall

Lairds House (16th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Auchinlea Road, Provan Hall

Classification Lairds House (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Provanhall Road; North Building

Canmore ID 44985

Site Number NS66NE 1

NGR NS 66754 66344

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44985

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

] Provan Hall, Auchinlea Road, late medieval

North block pre-Reformation, linked by screen walls to 18th-century south block, enclosing inner court. Rubble walls, harled at south block. North block late 15th-, possibly 16th-century, Renaissance details, crowstep gables, pedimented gables to dormers. North-east angle, conical-roofed drum turnpike stairturret, shot holes. Forestair at east end of courtyard. Symmetrical south front to south range, steps to exposed stone architraved, pedimented central entrance. Hip-roofed dormers, sash windows. 18th-century timber internal stair, fine interior. Wide Renaissance moulded arched gateway in centre of courtyard wall, 1647 pediment, Hamilton family crest and initials. Refurbishment 2005, Glasgow City Council. National Trust for Scotland, managed by Glasgow City Council, open to the public

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NS66NE 1 66755 66324

(NS 6675 6633) Provan Hall (NR)

OS 6" map, (1967)

Though the National Trust (1959) and a plaque on the wall (OS [JLD] 10 February 1954) allege that Provan Hall was built in the 15th century, Tranter states that the house appears to date from the late 16th century, and is probably a post-Reformation building erected by Sir William Baillie who obtained these former church lands at that time. The original house forms the north side of a courtyard, the south side of which is occupied by a later dwelling house. High curtain walls form the E and W sides, and in the former is a gateway, protected by a circular shot-hole.

The original house itself is oblong on plan, with a circular stair-tower projecting at the NE angle. The walls are of good rubble, two storeys high, with a garret within the steeply-pitched roof. There are three doors at ground level, all on the courtyard side. An outside forestair has been erected against the E wall of the courtyard to replace the turnpike stair that rose in the circular tower, and a doorway has been formed at the E end of the first floor. Another doorway, now built up, has been opened at some time in the W gable at first floor level. A shot-hole and keyhole type arrow-slit window guard the circular tower at basement level and there are two more shot-holes above. Having been long in a poor state of repair, Provan Hall was purchased in 1935 by a body of private individuals, and after restoration, handed over to the National Trust.

The pediment over the courtyard gateway bears the date '1647', and the initials of Sir Robert Hamilton, the owner of the lands at that time.

Visited by OS (J L D) 10 February 1954.

National Trust 1959; N Tranter 1962-70.

NS 667 663 As part of ongoing research into the history of Provan Hall (NMRS NS66NE 1) a photographic survey of the external and internal elevations of both Provan Hall and the adjacent Blochairn House was completed. An REDM survey of the external elevations was also undertaken. Drawings were made of the kitchen fireplace in the ground floor and of the floor in the first-floor hall. The latter clearly shows wear which reveals the former presence of internal timber partitions.

Sponsor: National Trust of Scotland.

D Alexander 2001

NS 667 663 An evaluation was undertaken as part of a feasibility study for a visitor centre at Provan Hall. Two trenches and three test pits were excavated E and NE of the Hall grounds. These demonstrated that the majority of the proposed site had been built up relatively recently with made ground at least 1.8-2m deep.

A single trench was excavated within the grounds of Provan Hall. This showed that a mound visible as a surface feature was the product of a rise in the natural topography, exaggerated by recent dumping of concrete, brick and stone. No significant archaeological features or finds were found in any of the trenches.

Archive to be deposited in NMRS.

Sponsor: Greater Easterhouse Environmental Trust.

R Heawood 2005

Activities

Publication Account (1985)

Now overlooked by a modern housing estate, Provan Hall is an example of a late medieval rural manor house which was probably intended to serve as a hunting lodge. By the beginning of this century it was semi-derelict, but in 1935 it was bought by a group of private individuals who restored the fabric and subsequently gave it to the National Trust for Scotland.

Although an earlier building may have stood on the site, the present house was probably erected in the later 16th century for Sir William Baillie, who acquired the land from Glasgow Cathedral following the Reformation. Originally, it comprised a house set on the north side of a walled courtyard which was entered through an arched gateway on the east. The house was rectangular on plan, with a circular stair tower projecting from the north-east angle; at a later date, an external stair rising from the courtyard was added to give direct access to the principal rooms on the first floor. An unusual feature of the gateway is the flight of steps leading from the courtyard to a look-out platform above the arch. In the 18th century the south side of the courtyard was filled in by a second house which, instead of fronting on to the courtyard, had its principal facade on the south, overlooking the valley of the Clyde.

Information from ‘Exploring Scotland’s Heritage: The Clyde Estuary and Central Region’, (1985).

Standing Building Recording (16 January 2009 - 13 February 2009)

NS 667 663 A building survey was undertaken of the complex of buildings at Provan Hall on 16 January–13 February 2009 The site comprises two buildings, a N range and a S range, linked by a walled courtyard, with a formal partially walled garden to the W. Both the N and the S buildings are c15m E–W by 6m N–S and consist of ground, first floor and attic levels. The N building has a turret tower at the NE corner. The first floor of the N range is accessed via an external stone stair at the NE corner of the courtyard, built against the S exterior wall of the N building. There may have been an additional or earlier stair against the W elevation of the N building, but there is no evidence for this other than a blocked door aperture at first floor level in the W gable of the N building. The attic level of the N building is accessed via a small hatch in the ceiling of the first floor level SW cupboard. The first floor and attic level of the S building are accessed via an internal central stair.

Although the complex may pre-date the 16th century, particularly the S range, the clearest surviving evidence for the development of the monument is from the mid- to late 16th century with two ranges. This period is associated with William Baillie. By the later 16th and early 17th centuries the two ranges were augmented with an enclosed courtyard and windows inserted in the N range. There was evidence, particularly in the N range, of residential rather than defensive use. By the later 17th and early 18th centuries extensive repairs were enacted, particularly to the roof of the N range, after its purchase by Glasgow Town Council in 1667. During the

18th century the two ranges were changed once again. This time the S range became the main residence and the N range service accommodation. The complex was turned into a farmhouse with outside ancillary buildings from the late 18th to early 20th centuries. Further conversions to the S range in terms of new room layout and access took place during this time. In the 1930s Provan Hall became a public monument and numerous buildings were demolished. The site passed to the NTS in 1938. Since 1979 the site has been leased by Glasgow City Council as a local amenity and heritage site.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: The National Trust for Scotland

Gordon Ewart – Kirkdale Archaeology

Excavation (16 September 2014 - 21 September 2014)

NS 6675 6634 A community based archaeological pilot project was undertaken at Provan Hall from 16–21 September 2014. The work included trial excavations which ran alongside a series of workshops and training sessions, school visits and other activities aimed at raising awareness

and understanding of Provan Hall. A series of three hand excavated trial trenches and three test pits uncovered the remains of two buildings which once stood to the E of the current Provan Hall complex, along with the probable remains of a stone foundation relating to a structure that

extended off the western gable wall of the northern range. It was also apparent that significant groundworks had taken place during the 20th century, including the addition of imported material resulting in a significant rise in ground level compared to previous centuries.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: Heritage Lottery Fund

Ingrid Shearer and David Sneddon – Northlight Heritage

(Source: DES)

Excavation (17 September 2015 - 22 September 2015)

Northlight Heritage were commissioned to undertake a small excavation to investigate the foundations of the North building at Provan Hall, Auchinlea Park, Glasgow, prior to conservation work being carried out. A test trench was excavated between 17th and the 22nd September 2015. The work was conducted by Northlight Heritage on behalf of the Glasgow and Clyde Valley Green Network Partnership on behalf of the Seven Lochs Partnership. The foundations of the North building were found to be shallow, sitting on bedrock and natural clay. An earlier courtyard surface seen in photographs in the 1940s (consisting of stones sets, flag stones of varying sizes and possibly bricks) was replaced in or prior to 1966 with stone sets and a drain. The finds consisted of some sherds of green-glazed pottery, (thought to be late-medieval in date), a single clay pipe stem and a few sherds of vessel and window glass. There were no other archaeological features.

Information from Oasis (northlig1-311762) 27 March 2018

Nts Note (March 2016)

The site comprises two buildings, a north building and a south building, linked by a walled courtyard and with a formal partially walled garden to the west. Both the north and the south buildings are approximately 15m E-W by 6m N-S and consist of a ground, first floor and attic level. The north building, which is the older of the two also has a turret tower at the northeast corner. The first floor of the north building is accessed via an external stone stair at the north east corner of the courtyard, built against the south exterior wall of the north building. There may have been an additional or earlier stair against the west elevation of the north building but there is no evidence for this other than a blocked door aperture at first

floor level in the west gable of the north building. The attic level of the north building is access via a small hatch in the ceiling of the first floor level southwest cupboard. The first floor and attic level of the south building are accessed via an internal central stair.

The North Building

Exterior

The exterior elevations of the north building consist of the E and W gables, the N and S walls and the NE turret tower. All the rubble build masonry is visible.

Ground Floor

Total of four rooms; three vaulted rooms and the ground floor of the turret. The walls are whitewashed but the individual stones are visible. The ground floor has a flag floor throughout. The turret ceiling is the wooden floor of the first floor turret above. The timber joists of this floor are visible from the ground floor of the turret and they are hand sawn. There is one large fireplace in the west vault. Each vault has a south door leading to the courtyard; the doors are wooden, painted black, hung on pintles. There is an internal door aperture between the central and the east vault with no door, and an internal door aperture between the east vault and the turret also with no door. There are two south windows in the west vault,

one north window in the central vault, one north window in the east vault and two windows/gun loops in the turret. There are two aumbry features inside the large fireplace in the west vault, the south one has painted wooden shutters. There are two aumbry features in the south wall of the central vault built into the south wall on either side of the door aperture. There is an aperture feature in the west wall of the central vault extending through the vaulted ceiling up to the first floor level, it is blocked at the top with long stones.

First Floor

Total of three rooms and one cupboard; west room, east room, west cupboard and the first floor of the turret. The walls are plastered and painted obscuring the stone except for the margins of fireplaces and

door apertures and the north wall of the east room which has been partially stripped. The cupboard, west room and east room have a flag floor and the turret has a wooden plank floor. There is one fireplace in the

east room and one in the west room. The east room has one door leading to the courtyard via stone steps. The door is wooden painted black and hung on pintles. There is a blocked door in the west gable of the west room. There is an internal door between the west room and the cupboard with a warped wooden door similar to external doors but not painted, and internal door between the west room and the east room with a wooden door similar to the external door but not painted and an internal door aperture between the east room and the turret with no door. There is one window in the south wall of the cupboard, two windows is the west room (one in the south wall, one in the north), three windows in the east room

(one in the south wall, one in the north, one in the east) and there are four windows in the turret. Ashlar posts are visible in the north wall where the plaster has been stripped back. There is a decorative plaster cornice in the east and the west room.

Attic Level

Total of three rooms, east attic, west attic, and turret attic. Access is via a hatch in the ceiling of the cupboard of the first floor (no bigger that 0.5m square). There may be no access to the turret attic. The rubble build masonry is visible however as access was not possible during the site visit only the central wall between the east and west rooms was visible. There is no floor. The ceiling is sarking boards. Estimated ten trusses in each the east and the west attic comprising N and S rafters, upper and lower collar, and ashlar posts seen in the north wall of the east room below. There is one internal door aperture between the east and west attic, no door visible. The caretaker believes that there are some original

timbers but that much repair work and replacement was carried out in 1936 and then again in the 1970's.

Information from NTS (SCS) March 2016

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions