Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cleddans

Fortlet (Roman)

Site Name Cleddans

Classification Fortlet (Roman)

Canmore ID 44555

Site Number NS57SW 50

NGR NS 5082 7225

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44555

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Old Kilpatrick (Clydebank)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydebank
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS57SW 50 5082 7225.

NS 508 723 Cleddans. A Roman fortlet located by trial trenching in 1979 measured internally 18m east-west by 17.6m north-south within a rampart set on a 3.6m wide stone base.

It predates the Antonine Wall which abuts it at the north-east corner at a sharp angle. The north-west corner had been much disturbed by ploughing but the Wall would have joined it some way south of this angle.

F O Grew 1980; L Keppie and J Walker 1980.

NS 5082 7225 There is no surface trace of the fortlet or the 1979 excavations on the highest level area of a field under plough/stubble at circa 70m OD.

Site surveyed at 1:1250 from excavation plans provided by L Keppie, Hunterian Museum.

Visited by OS (J R L) 13 January 1981.

Activities

Trial Trench (1979)

NS57SW 50 5082 7225.

NS 508 723 Cleddans. A Roman fortlet located by trial trenching in 1979 measured internally 18m east-west by 17.6m north-south within a rampart set on a 3.6m wide stone base.

It predates the Antonine Wall which abuts it at the north-east corner at a sharp angle. The north-west corner had been much disturbed by ploughing but the Wall would have joined it some way south of this angle.

F O Grew 1980; L Keppie and J Walker 1980.

Field Visit (13 January 1981)

NS 5082 7225 There is no surface trace of the fortlet or the 1979 excavations on the highest level area of a field under plough/stubble at circa 70m OD.

Site surveyed at 1:1250 from excavation plans provided by L Keppie, Hunterian Museum.

Visited by OS (J R L) 13 January 1981.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions