Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Strathblane, Parish Graveyard

Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Strathblane, Parish Graveyard

Classification Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 44452

Site Number NS57NE 6

NGR NS 5638 7937

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44452

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Strathblane (Stirling)
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS57NE 6 5638 7937.

Standing Stone, Parish Graveyard, Strathblane. A few yards within the entrance to the graveyard of Strathblane Parish Church (No. 158) a standing stone appears among the monuments. It is a five-sided pillar, 3ft 9ins high, with an uneven but flattish top. At ground level the sides range from 1ft 9ins to 2ft 3ins in width. A standing stone occurs similarly in a graveyard at Struan, near Blair Atholl, Perthshire.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 10 November 1955

A rough uninscribed stone block, as described by the Commission.

Visited by OS (J L D) 29 March 1957

As described above

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (W D J) 2 May 1966.

NS 563 793 This five-sided pillar measures 1.lm high and stands in the graveyard of the parish church.

RCAHMS 1979, visited September 1978

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions