Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Craigie Hill

Fort (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Craigie Hill

Classification Fort (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 42869

Site Number NS43SW 4

NGR NS 4224 3276

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Craigie
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS43SW 4 4224 3276.

(NS 4224 3276) Fort (NR)

OS 6" map (1969)

The fort on the summit of Craigie Hill, 500ft OD, is not easy to locate as its single rampart is heavily denuded.

Information from K A Steer (RCAHMS) letter and plan, 1954.

Only the slight suggestion of the course of a wall was found, on the SW perimeter, at NS 4221 3273.

Visited by OS (JLD) 3 June 1954

A large southerly extension of Craigiehill stone quarry has destroyed all trace of this fort.

Visited by OS (JRL) 21 June 1982

Nothing now remains of the fort situated on Craigie Hill.

RCAHMS 1985, visited (SH) March 1985


Field Visit (17 March 1953)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Marginal Land Survey (1950-1962), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, are available to view online - see the searchable PDF in 'Digital Items'. These vary from short notes, to lengthy and full descriptions. Contemporary plane-table surveys and inked drawings, where available, can be viewed online in most cases - see 'Digital Images'. The original typecripts, notebooks and drawings can also be viewed in the RCAHMS search room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 19 July 2013.

Reference (1957)

This site is noted in the ‘List of monuments discovered during the survey of marginal land (1951-5)’ (RCAHMS 1957, xiv-xviii). The 286 monuments were listed by county, parish, classification and name, and the list included an indication of whether they had been planned (P), whether they were visible only as a cropmark (C), and whether they were worthy of preservation (*).

Drawings are catalogued to individual site records. Investigator's notebooks are availiable in the MS collection. Site descriptions are availiable in contemporary RCAHMS inventories, or in three typescript volumes availiable in the library.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 24 October 2012

Note (5 August 2014 - 16 November 2016)

The remains of this fort have been destroyed by stone quarrying. It was already heavily degraded by the time of its discovery in 1953 on the rounded summit of Craigie Hill. Slightly oval on plan, it measured about 80m from NE to SW by 70m transversely (0.44ha) within a single rampart which where best preserved around the western half of the circuit formed a stony scarp some 1.8m in height; no trace of the rampart survived on the SE, nor upon the NE, which was already being quarried. The rocky interior was featureless.

Information from An Atlas of Hillforts of Great Britain and Ireland – 16 November 2016. Atlas of Hillforts SC1362


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions