Loudoun Kirk
Burial Ground (17th Century), Church (17th Century)
Site Name Loudoun Kirk
Classification Burial Ground (17th Century), Church (17th Century)
Alternative Name(s) Loudoun Church
Canmore ID 42772
Site Number NS43NE 1
NGR NS 49292 37387
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/42772
- Council East Ayrshire
- Parish Loudoun
- Former Region Strathclyde
- Former District Kilmarnock And Loudoun
- Former County Ayrshire
NS43NE 1 49292 37387
NS43NE 5 c. 4930 3738 Martyr's Grave
(NS 4929 3738) Loudon Kirk (NR) (remains of)
OS 6" map (1970)
A charter was given by the wife of Sir George Campbell of Loudon in 1451 to support a chapel, the ruins of which are still seen at Loudon Kirk.
NSA 1845 (N Macleod)
Loudon Kirk (SDD List 1962) is dated by Macgibbon and Ross to the 13th-mid 14th century. It is now completely ruinous. The choir was fitted up in the 17th century as a burial vault which was restored in 1898 by the Marquis of Bute. The W gable of the church is almost entire, but the side walls are demolished.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887
Scott states that the parish church was transferred to Newmilns (NS 537 373) in 1738.
H Scott 1920
The W gable of Loudoun Kirk remains entire, while the vault, which is roofed, is in good condition and bears a panel dated 1662. The interior of the church is used as a part of the graveyard.
Visited by OS (JLD) 14 August 1956
As described, except that the dated panel was not seen; it may be ivy-covered.
Visited by OS (JRL) 7 July 1982
NMRS REFERENCE:
ARCHITECT: R.W. Schultz 1897-99
The restoration of the Campbells of Loudon vault was carried out by R W Shultz (1898) for the 3rd Marquis of Bute, whose mother had been Countess of Loudon.
Photographed on behalf of the Buildings of Scotland publications.
RCAHMS 2009
External Reference (2 July 2012)
Research carried out on the history of Loudoun Kirk suggests that it was built in the late 12th century.
Information from Friends of Loudoun Kirk, 2012
Input by RCAHMS (SIH) 2 July 2012