Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We are now accepting Search Room bookings. Click here for further information.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 700782

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/700782

NS43NE 1 49292 37387

NS43NE 5 c. 4930 3738 Martyr's Grave

(NS 4929 3738) Loudon Kirk (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map (1970)

A charter was given by the wife of Sir George Campbell of Loudon in 1451 to support a chapel, the ruins of which are still seen at Loudon Kirk.

NSA 1845 (N Macleod)

Loudon Kirk (SDD List 1962) is dated by Macgibbon and Ross to the 13th-mid 14th century. It is now completely ruinous. The choir was fitted up in the 17th century as a burial vault which was restored in 1898 by the Marquis of Bute. The W gable of the church is almost entire, but the side walls are demolished.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887

Scott states that the parish church was transferred to Newmilns (NS 537 373) in 1738.

H Scott 1920

The W gable of Loudoun Kirk remains entire, while the vault, which is roofed, is in good condition and bears a panel dated 1662. The interior of the church is used as a part of the graveyard.

Visited by OS (JLD) 14 August 1956

As described, except that the dated panel was not seen; it may be ivy-covered.

Visited by OS (JRL) 7 July 1982

People and Organisations

References