Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glengarnock Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Glengarnock Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 42179

Site Number NS35NW 8

NGR NS 31029 57355

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Ayrshire
  • Parish Kilbirnie
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cunninghame
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS35NW 8 31029 57355.

(NS 31029 57355) Glengarnock Castle (NR) (remains of)

OS 1:10000 map (1980)

Glengarnock Castle is an example of a keep with courtyard attached, of the period 1400-1542, and with various later buildings in the courtyard. The keep measures about 45 1/2ft by 31 1/2ft, with vaulted ground and first floors. It is too ruinous to say whether there were other floors. The buildings round the courtyard have been at least two storeys high, that on the S having been a kitchen. The neck of land on which the castle stands has been isolated by a ditch and mound some 70 yds from the walls.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889

Glengarnock Castle, which is as described above, is in a good state of presrvation. A tablet on the wall of the keep states that W C Patrick 'Strengthened the ruins of this ancient castle AD 1841'.

Crossing the promontory upon which the castle is sited, and 70.0m E of the castle is a ditch 30.0m in length, with an average depth of 4.0m and width of 8.0m. The mound referred to by MacGibbon and Ross is E of the ditch and appears to be natural.

Visited by OS (DS) 4 September 1956

Previous field report confirmed. The ditch to the E of the castle merges into a natural gully on the S side of the promontory. On the N side of the promontory and midway between the castle and the ditch are the footings of a building up to 0.3m high, measuring 16.0 by 5.0m, which was possibly associated with the castle.

Earthworks surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (RDL) 13 May 1964

No change. The compartmented building on the N side of the promontory is clearly domestic and is probably a farmstead.

Visited by OS (JRL) 24 January 1983


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions