Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Callanish, 'tursachan'

Cairn (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age), Stone Circle (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)

Site Name Lewis, Callanish, 'tursachan'

Classification Cairn (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age), Stone Circle (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)

Alternative Name(s) Callanish Ii; Cnoc Ceann A' Gharraidh; Cnoc Ceann; Ceann A'gharaodh; Calanais

Canmore ID 4169

Site Number NB23SW 3

NGR NB 22215 32617

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/4169

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Uig
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NB23SW 3 22215 32617.

(NB 2220 3260) Stone Circle (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map, (1965)

A circle of tall, thin standing stones surrounding a cairn, the original character of which cannot now be determined with certainty. The cairn measures 28' in diameter and 1' in height and shows in its centre an excavated cavity 6' in diameter. The stones, of which five are erect and two prostrate range from 10'9" to 6'6" in height. A slab 4'8" long by 1'9" in greatest breadth lies in front of the most westerly erect stone, pointing towards the centre of the circle, which is 65' in diameter.

RCAHMS 1928.

A stone circle with a cairn placed eccentrically within it, generally as described and planned by RCAHMS. The stones are on the same level as the surrounding ground, but the interior is slightly sunken.

Surveyed at 1/2500

Visited by OS (R L) 20 June 1969.

Scheduled as Ceann a'Gharaodh, stone circle and cairn.

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 2 November 1992.

This cairn and stone circle are as described. The slightly sunken interior was water-filled on the date of visit.

Visited by RCAHMS (ARG, SPH) 29 August 2009

Activities

Field Visit (16 June 1914)

Stone Circle, "Tursachan", near Callanish.

On a plateau within 100 yards of one of the arms on the east side of Loch Roag, at an elevation of 50 feet above sea-level, ¼ mile west by south of the circle NB23SW 2 and 5/8 mile east-south-east of the Callanish megaliths (NB23SW 1), is a circle of five erect, tall thin stones set with their faces in the line of the circumference and two prostrate slabs with an excavated cairn near the centre of the enclosed area. The five erect stones, of which four are pointed, occupy the northern, eastern and southern arcs of the circle, and measur efrom 6 feet 6 inches to 10 feet 9 inches in height and from 3 feet to 5 feet 10 inches in width; the two prostrate stones, which have fallen inwards, are 8 feet 2 inches and at least 9 feet 11 inches long and 5 feet 8 inches and 7 feet 6 inches broad respectively, occupy the western arc. A slab 4 feet 8 inches long and 1 foot 9 inches at its greatest breadth lies in front of the western erect stone, 1 foot 2 inches from its base, pointing towards the centre of the circle. The diameter of the circle is 65 feet, and the remains of the central cairn, which measures 28 feet in diameter and 1 foot in height, show in its centre an excavated cavity 6 feet in diameter. (Figs. 66, 67.)

RCAHMS 1928, visited 16 June 1914.

OS map: Lewis xxv.

Field Visit (29 August 2009)

This cairn and stone circle are as described. The slightly sunken interior was water-filled on the date of visit.

Visited by RCAHMS (ARG,SPH) 29 August 2009

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions