Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilmun, Collegiate Church Of St Mun

Collegiate Church (15th Century)

Site Name Kilmun, Collegiate Church Of St Mun

Classification Collegiate Church (15th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Collegiate Church Of St Fintan; Collegiate Church Of St Mund

Canmore ID 40768

Site Number NS18SE 1

NGR NS 16575 82070

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/40768

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Dunoon And Kilmun
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NS18SE 1.00 16575 82070

NS18SE 1.01 16592 82073 St Munn's Church

NS18SE 1.02 16587 82088 Douglas of Glenfinart Mausoleum

NS18SE 1.03 1658 8207 Cross Slab

NS18SE 1.04 16603 82072 Argyll Mausoleum

NS18SE 1.05 16613 82045 Churchyard

(NS 1653 8218) Collegiate Church Tower (NR) (AD 1442) (Ruin) (NAT)

OS 6" map (1946)

The church of St Columba, Kilmun, is mentioned in 1391. In 1441, it was erected into a Collegiate Church dedicated to St Fintan (H Scott 1950). Only a small portion remains, a church having been built in 1841 on the site of the old structure. In 1897, the remains consisted of a tower, about 20' square by 40' high, with fragments of the side walls and the mark of the church roof, on its E side.

D E Easson 1957; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1897; G Hay 1957

NS 1657 8216. As described.

Visited by OS (JP) 2 March 1973

The remains of the Collegiate Church consist of a tower 6.5m (N-S) by 6.0m and approx 12.0m high, with fragments of the side walls and the marks of the church roof on the E side.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (TRG) 10 December 1976

Site of medieval church, made collegiate in 1442. Dedicated to St Mun (? Finten Munnu), whose crosier was held by hereditary keeper in 1497.

I Fisher 2001.

Architecture Notes

NS18SE 1.00 16575 82070

NS18SE 1.01 16592 82073 St Munn's Church

NS18SE 1.02 16587 82088 Douglas of Glenfinart Mausoleum

NS18SE 1.03 1658 8207 Cross Slab

NS18SE 1.04 16603 82072 Argyll Mausoleum

NS18SE 1.05 16613 82045 Churchyard

Activities

Field Visit (April 1989)

This church occupies the summit of a slight knoll about 10m above the NE shore of the Holy Loch, 0.7m from the present head of the loch and bounded on the E by the gorge of the Allt na Sruthlaig and on the N by the steep slope of Kilmun Hill. The existing building of 1841 occupies the site of a medieval parish church, endowed as a collegiate church in 1442 by Sir Duncan Campbell of Lochawe, and a W tower of that period, with slight remains of the adjacent walls of the nave, stands 4m to the W. The mausoleum of the Campbell Dukes of Argyll, rebuilt in 1795-6, occupies the NE re-entrant angle of the church.

RCAHMS 1992, visited April 1989

[see RCAHMS 1992 No. 80 for a detailed description of the history of the site, the present church, the Argyll mausoleum, and 67 funerary monuments of medieval and post-reformation date]

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions