Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Field Visit

Date April 1989

Event ID 1082906

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1082906

This church occupies the summit of a slight knoll about 10m above the NE shore of the Holy Loch, 0.7m from the present head of the loch and bounded on the E by the gorge of the Allt na Sruthlaig and on the N by the steep slope of Kilmun Hill. The existing building of 1841 occupies the site of a medieval parish church, endowed as a collegiate church in 1442 by Sir Duncan Campbell of Lochawe, and a W tower of that period, with slight remains of the adjacent walls of the nave, stands 4m to the W. The mausoleum of the Campbell Dukes of Argyll, rebuilt in 1795-6, occupies the NE re-entrant angle of the church.

RCAHMS 1992, visited April 1989

[see RCAHMS 1992 No. 80 for a detailed description of the history of the site, the present church, the Argyll mausoleum, and 67 funerary monuments of medieval and post-reformation date]

People and Organisations

References