Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Chapel (Early Medieval)

Site Name Ardtaraig

Classification Chapel (Early Medieval)

Canmore ID 40517

Site Number NS08SE 2

NGR NS 05662 82683

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Inverchaolain
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

Site of chapel and incised cross at Ardtarig.

Argyll County Council 1914

NS 056 828. The chapel at Ardtarig may be of early medieval date and connected with the estate. There is an upright stone on the W edge of the chapel with an incised cross on one side and faint cup marks on the other.

M Paterson 1970


Field Visit (7 March 1973)

NS 0569 8268. The remains of this chapel are oriented NE SW and measure 10m x 5.6m with walls 0.6m high and 0.6m wide. The remains are enclosed by an earth and stone bank now reduced to a low stony scarp on all but the N side where it stands up to 0.6m high. The upright stone is a flat slab measuring 1m high x 0.5m wide and is inscribed with a Latin Cross. The cup marks are probably natural.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (IA) 7 March 1973

Field Visit (13 October 1976)

As described in the report above.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (TRG) 13 October 1976

Field Visit (September 1986)

The remains of this chapel stand within a subrectangular enclosure on a terrace 150m from the E shore of Loch Striven and the same distance W of Ardtaraig House. The enclosure measures about 18m from ENE to WSW by 16.5m within an earth bank with intermittent facing-stones, now reduced to a low scarp except on the N, where it has a maximum height of 0.6m. The entrance was in the W wall, and its S jamb is formed by a carved stone of Early Christian type, probably not in its original position.

The chapel itself measures 9m from ENE to WSW by 4m, within drystone walls 0.8m thick whose uniform height of about 0.6m is due to clearance and consolidation about 1925. Its entrance is in the N wall, and there is a cross wall of uncertain significance 1m from the W end-wall.

The carved stone is a roughly rectangular slab of mica-schist 0.95m in visible height by 0.58m by 0.2m in thickness, has been broken across and repaired with mortar. The N face bears the pecked and grooved outline of a Latin cross, appparently open at the foot. On the S face there are several cup-marks, probably caused by natural weathering.

RCAHMS 1992, visited September 1986


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions