Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Kilda, Hirta, Gleann Mor, Tobar Nam Buaidh

Altar(S) (Period Unknown)(Possible), Holy Well (Period Unknown)

Site Name St Kilda, Hirta, Gleann Mor, Tobar Nam Buaidh

Classification Altar(S) (Period Unknown)(Possible), Holy Well (Period Unknown)

Canmore ID 3962

Site Number NA00SE 4

NGR NA 08644 00247

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/3962

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Harris
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NA00SE 4 0865 0025.

(NA 08650025) Tobar Nam Buaidh (TU)

OS 6"map, anotated by J Mathieson (1928)

Tobar nam Buaidh (the well of virtue) a holy well, the water from which was an alleged cure for deafness and nervous diseases. There was once a so-called altar nearby, where prayer was made. This has now disappeared but the well is protected by an erection of large stones and was used up to the evacuation (in 1930) (J Mathieson 1928).

Covered by a stone structure in 1697 (M Martin 1934).

J Mathieson 1928; M Martin 1934.

A stone-built well-house, situated on the hill-slope, and measuring 1.5 x 1.8m and 1.5m high. Spring water still runs into a trough within the housing. There is no trace of the alleged 'altar'.

Visited by OS (J L D) 8 August 1967.

Activities

Desk Based Assessment (19 April 1966)

Tobar nam Buaidh (the well of virtue) a holy well, the water from which was an alleged cure for deafness and nervous diseases. There was once a so-called altar nearby, where prayer was made. This has now disappeared but the well is protected by an erection of large stones and was used up to the evacuation (in 1930) (J Mathieson 1928).

Covered by a stone structure in 1697 (M Martin 1934).

Information from OS (BRS) 19 April 1966

J Mathieson 1928; M Martin 1934.

Field Visit (8 August 1967)

A stone-built well-house, situated on the hill-slope, and measuring 1.5 x 1.8m and 1.5m high. Spring water still runs into a trough within the housing. There is no trace of the alleged 'altar'.

Visited by OS (J L D) 8 August 1967.

Field Visit (3 September 2009)

A natural spring with a substantially built well-cover.

Visited by RCAHMS (ARG) 3 September 2009

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions