Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Islay, Kildalton House

Country House (19th Century)

Site Name Islay, Kildalton House

Classification Country House (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Kildalton Castle; Kildalton House Policies

Canmore ID 38021

Site Number NR44NW 41

NGR NR 43680 47526

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/38021

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kildalton And Oa
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR44NW 41.00 43680 47526

Kildalton House [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, April 2010.

NR44NW 41.01 NR 43157 475556 Quartz Lodge

Architecture Notes

ARCHITECT: John Burnet 1867-1869

James Ingram 1863

McKenzie and Moncur 1891

Messenger and co. 1915

PLANS: N.M.R.S Copies of drawings in possession of Mrs Ramsay of Kildalton.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Site Management (7 September 1990)

Scots Baronial. Rambling plan. Stugged ashlar with dressed face-work. KEEP: 4 storeys; 5 storey angle tower. Corbelled and crenellated parapet. Round-headed doorways. WINGS: 1 and 2 storeys, Gabled. Crow-steps. Dormers, 2 storey bay window. (Historic Scotland)

An earlier proposal in 1863 by Kilmarnock architect James Ingram, in Scots Barional style, failed to find favour with James Ramsey, who had purchased the Kildaton Lands in the 1850s. A second design, from John Burnet was obtained in 1867, and was a more ambitious composition. It is this design, which seems to form the basis of castle that was actually built three years later. (FA Walker).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions