Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Islay, Duisker

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Islay, Duisker

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Duisker 2

Canmore ID 37690

Site Number NR36NE 2

NGR NR 3602 6678

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/37690

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Killarow And Kilmeny
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR36NE 2 3602 6678.

(NR 3602 6679) Chapel (NR) (In Ruins) Burial Ground (NR)

OS 6" map, Argyllshire, 2nd ed., (1900)

The remains of a chapel, consisting of a low crumbling grass-covered wall, lying in the centre of its circular burial-ground, which is about 15 yards in diameter, enclosed by a bank. Beyond its being ancient nothing is known of the chapel.

Name Book 1878.

The turf-grown footings of this chapel stand within a burial-ground about 200m SW of Duisker farmhouse and 600m WNW of the chapel NR36NE 1. The building measures about 3.6m from ENE to WSW by 2.8m transversely within walls

some 0.8m in thickness, and the entrance lay in the WSW wall. The burial-ground is approximately circular, measuring

about 13m in diameter within a drystone wall about 1.3m in thickness; the entrance appears to have been in the N sector.

There are no identifiable tombstones, but a low stony mound immediately to the E of the chapel may mark the position of a grave.

RCAHMS 1984, visited September 1975.

This unusually small chapel measures 3.5m NE-SW by 3.2m within a turf-covered wall, 0.9m high and little more than 1.0m in actual width,. A central placed break along the SW wall shows an entrance position.

The enclosing burial ground is approximately 12.5m square with angles rounded; its wall is similar to that of the chapel but more upstanding.

Surveyed at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS June 1978.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions