Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Islay, Kilchoman, Kilchoman House

Manse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Islay, Kilchoman, Kilchoman House

Classification Manse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Old Manse

Canmore ID 37465

Site Number NR26SW 38

NGR NR 21660 63129

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/37465

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilchoman
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Architecture Notes

NR26SW 38 21660 63129

This house, which was built in 1825-6, (New Statistical Account 1845) stands in a hollow N of Creag Mhor and just over 100m SE of the former parish church. It consists of a cubical hip-roofed block of two main storeys with an adjacent hip-roofed kitchen wing and single-storeyed court of offices to the SE; a large walled garden lies adjacent to the sw. The main block, which measures 11.8m in length by 10.4m transversely over walls about 0.7m in thickness, has a three-bay NE elevation incorporating an advanced and pedimented frontispiece.

The masonry throughout is of harled and limewashed rubble, with exposed freestone dressings at the quoins and at

some openings. The principal entrance-doorway has a semicircular-headed surround which has a projecting

keystone, plain impost-band and glazed fanlight within. The house is of double-room depth, and the principal rooms are

grouped around the stair-well and corridor in the SE quarter. Some of the internal doors retain reeded architraves, and the scale-and-platt stair has a cast-iron balustrade.

A modernised range of outbuildings, one and a half storeys high and some 28.3m long, occupies a bankside

position 40m to the N and appears to have combined cottage accommodation with coach-houses and stables.

A visitation to Kilchoman in December 1824 by the Presbytery of Kintyre, and the heritors, accompanied by two

tradesmen, authorised the minister to produce plans and estimates of a manse and office houses which the site had

previously lacked. The proposals were submitted and approved in the following March, and work was probably

begun shortly thereafter.

A further visitation in August 1827 reported that the manse had been completed to the satisfaction of the Presbytery. (Kintyre Presbytery Minutes, 29 December 1824 and 28 August 1827. The tradesmen who acted as consultants in 1824 were Peter Sinclair, mason, Bowmore, and Donald Macdougall, house carpenter, Gartness. In 1827 Donald MacDougall was joined by Ronald Bell, mason at Coull.) In October 1926, J M Honeyman, architect, prepared a report on the estimated costs of repairs to the manse and outbuildings, and in 1929-30 the entire property, including the glebe, was sold by the General Trustees of the Church of Scotland. (Report in possession of the owner.)

Visited October 1980

RCAHMS 1984

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions